We conduct research on the way in which the Police and Crime Commission work so that we can identify any unlawful or unreasonable practices and help to prevent misconduct in the future.
We aim to help law enforcement agencies to improve the way they identify, prevent and minimise misconduct, unlawful actions and unreasonable practices.
We also conduct legislative reviews where the law requires us to.
How do we work?
We read the police records, analyse police databases and speak to junior and senior police officers. We also meet with other members of the community who are impacted by the way in which police work, to get their perspective.
- identify areas where there may be problems in the way that police are working
- look at police practices and processes
- consider if the policies are clear and lawful
- look at whether police practices comply with the law and with their own policies
- consider whether there is enough training and supervision of police officers.
Part of our job is to make sure that people know about the work that we do.
We have a Community Engagement officer who is part of the Prevention and Education team.
You can contact our Community Engagement officer at email@example.com.