The LECC Act says that we must regularly review the systems used by the NSW Police Force and Crime Commission to manage misconduct.
We work with the NSW Police Force and NSW Crime Commission to check their misconduct systems and to identify possible improvements.
We do different kinds of reviews:
- conducting targeted or strategic audits upon individual units of the NSW Police Force and NSW Crime Commission;
- conducting audits of the complaints database of the NSW Police Force; or,
- broader strategic audits in respect of organisation wide misconduct issues.
We use different strategies in our work:
- reviews of NSW Police Force or Crime Commission misconduct records,
- interviews with NSW Police Force and NSW Crime Commission staff and senior leadership
- physical inspection of records
- discussing our findings with the NSW Police Force and NSW Crime Commission
- checking to see if our recommendations have been implemented.