Access to information
The purpose of the GIPA Act is to facilitate public access to government information.
The GIPA Act requires government agencies such as the LECC to make certain information easily available to the public without requiring an application. This is known as ‘open access information’, and includes:
- information about who we are, what we do and what information we hold (our Agency Information Guide)
- our policy documents
- any information about the LECC contained in documents tabled in Parliament
- a log of all access applications (our disclosure log), and
- a register of certain government contracts
To find out more about your right to information and ways to access NSW government information visit the Information and Privacy Commission’s website.
The following LECC policies are available under the Commission's proactive release program:
Accessing information about the Law Enforcement Conduct Commission
If the information you are looking for cannot be found on our website, please contact our Right to Information Officer.
Our Right to Information Officer will be able to advise you whether the information you are seeking can be made available without you having to make a formal access application.
You can also access guidance material prepared by the Information and Privacy Commission.
Accessing previous Police Integrity Commission reports
Police Integrity Commission and Royal Commission in to the New South Wales Police Service reports are available on the NSW OpenGov website.
Making a formal access application
If the information you are looking for is not already available on this website or able to be provided by the LECC after an informal request, you may formally apply for access to the information.
A formal ‘access application’ will only be valid if it meets the following requirements:
- Is in writing and sent to our address
- Clearly states it is an access application made under the Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009
- Includes payment for the $30.00 application fee
- Has your return postal address for correspondence
- Explains in clear terms with as much specific detail as possible, the information you are applying for
In addition, given the sensitive nature of the information held by the LECC, any requests for information concerning our investigative, reporting and corruption prevention functions, or handling of misconduct matters will be invalid and therefore refused. The GIPA Act and the Law Enforcement Conduct Commission Act 2016 have specific provisions which either prohibit or limit the public release of such information.
Please contact our office and ask to speak with one of our Right to Information Officers if you are not sure if the information you are looking for may fall within the excluded information category or if you have any questions relating to access to information.